POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ini_option : Re: ini_option Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ini_option
From: Glen Berry
Date: 8 Feb 2000 02:09:49
Message: <aL2fOHNPSsRgN4J2o9YUujTvHPq9@4ax.com>
On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 21:06:03 -0900, "mr.art" <mr.### [at] gcinet> wrote:

>Set width to 800, height to 600. Then set right to anything other
>than 4/3*x and watch what happens. The image is stretched oddly.
>So set the image to 800x450, leave right alone. The image is
>stretched oddly. I would like to see povray try to keep the image
>of a sphere round unless you tell it to do otherwise.

In that case, my suggestion of specifying the aspect ratio in the
scene file, and *either*  Width or Height, but *not both* on the
command line (or povray.ini) would work. The image aspect ratio could
be set with the camera{right} statement. Then we only need to specify
*one* of the image dimensions on the command line. POV would calculate
the other dimension.

I'm not forgetting that some systems might not employ square pixels.
I'm also aware of the idea that some people might want to create
images that are "compressed" in one dimension. For those situations, I
propose that an option be created for the povray.ini file that
specifies the *pixel* aspect ratio. This could also be used on the
command line.

There is a definite practical advantage of having seperate variables
assigned for the aspect ratio of the output image, and a second
variable associated with the aspect ratio of an individual pixel.

Yes, all of this can be achieved currently, but it is awkward to work
with multiple, image aspect ratios with the current system.

later,
Glen Berry