POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : library finding request : Re: library finding request Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:44:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: library finding request
From: ABX
Date: 16 Aug 2002 06:00:16
Message: <a8iplucoj2763bpeiuoeu58e4aeaa6ik5u@4ax.com>
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:39:49 +0200, Le Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Interesting concept: extracting a frame of a movie,

I'm happy that first response is not completly agains ... :-)

> but I wonder if it would not be better to have the timeline as the time
> elapsed since the beginning of the movie.

There is nothing difficoult to use Interpolate macro or range function to move
cursor from [0..1] to real time I think. I think idea of 0..1 is simliar to
putting images in <0,0>..<1,1> region even if images has some resolution,
placing, dimensions already written in it format. I think it should be easy to
get specified moment of movie by writing in sdl:

  #macro Time(Hours,Minutes,Seconds,S100)
    (((Hours*60+Minutes)*60+Seconds)*100+S100)
  #end

  image_map{
    mpeg "movie.mpg"
    timeline Time(2,30,46,23)/Time(3,20,21,10)
  }

Making timeline dependant on clock and using motion_blur (I hope it will be
patched to 3.5) would made movie playing very smooth.

> the beginning of the files might not be at timecode 0.

IIRC GIF format can have written position of image. Is it considered when gif
is loaded as image_map?

> > So what's my problem ? Mpeg library !
>
> > So would you like to help me finding best, well-tested, widely-used mpeg
> > library ? Am I missed something ? MPEG2 support could be nice but not
> > necessary. Portability necessary. Thanks in advance :-)
>

> Isn't it there a Linux/Unix Mpeg encoder that can be used to encode a
> set of images in a mpeg file (I used it once, I had to provide all the
> mpeg values and I had no idea of what they were for... ). There must be
> some decoding code too...

Would you like to point me some url where I can download include files?

> Your problem might be mixing Pov & GNU/free licences... maybe LGPL is ok ?

I don't plan to distribute library but gate to it as patch hovewer if I plan
to make it official some day I should take care of it too :-(

ABX