POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Torus problem (69KB) : Re: Torus problem (69KB) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 20:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Torus problem (69KB)
From: David Wilkinson
Date: 25 Apr 2000 18:01:25
Message: <a40cgso5faq571fcitr6litaijcvm8lfeq@4ax.com>
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:53:25 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>
>> But, but, but ...
>> ...How are we supposed to model such cigar shapes then?
>
>A lathe can do it with ease and can also be used in CSG operations.

 I have been having exactly the same problem with the chimney of a loco that I
am modelling.  I was using a cone with the fillet radii being produced by the
outside surface of two tori.  These fillets have a different texture to the rest
of the chimney, presumably because of the normal being the wrong way.

A lathe object should solve this problem, but at the expense of a much more
involved definition requiring a bezier_spline definition.
David
dav### [at] hamiltonitecom
http://www.hamiltonite.com/