POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Help!! I am missing something. : Re: Help!! I am missing something. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help!! I am missing something.
From: Peter Popov
Date: 17 Jul 2000 18:15:31
Message: <a217nscuvckcr5bd6ddrii2ieaqrnha4un@4ax.com>
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:54:09 -0400, "Mark Kanof" <mar### [at] kanofcom>
wrote:

>I am a new user of moray and povray.  I have been reading through teh help
>files and can't figure out how to really edit shapes.  Okay, I create a
>sphere for example.  Now I know how to resize more and rotate it, but lets
>say I want to bend it in to diffrent shapes, or pull part of the mesh out,
>how do I go about doing that.  I just cant' figure out how this program
>could be used for creating anything other than standard shapes, but I know
>that is cause I am missing something huge, please help.

In POV-Ray, a sphere is a sphere, not a manipulateable mesh of
triangles. Same counts for most of the basic shapes with the exception
of bicubic patches. If you want to model something more complex, CSG
or Constructive Solid Geometry is what you need. With it, you can
intersect, subtract, merge and unite different basic shapes. You also
have blobs, known as metaballs in some other packages. It may sound
lomited at first but just see some recent postings here or some
entries in the IRTC to see what one can do when one masters the tools
POV has to offer.

If pulling at a sphere is what you're really after, why don't you try
Rhino, sPatch, HamaPatch, Moonlight Atelier or other NURBS or Bezier
modellers? With the model ready, you can use it in a POV scene.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet