POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Are POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 Beta "Help-Files" online somewhere? : Re: Are POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 Beta "Help-Files" onlinesomewhere? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:28:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 Beta "Help-Files" onlinesomewhere?
From: Glen Berry
Date: 12 Oct 2001 15:58:10
Message: <YUfHO6B5HwEf+IMOc=ZMYVXwqeQL@4ax.com>
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:58:28 +0200, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>* Don' use POV-Ray 3.5.
>
>Nobody is forcing you to use the current beta.  Use POV-Ray 3.1g if you like
>it more.
>

>* Don't use POV-Ray
>
>Again, nobody is forcing you to use POV-Ray.  If you want a different help
>system, you may try a different program.  I don't know, but maybe 3D Studio
>Max, Cinema 4D or Maya have a help in a format you like more.  As you seem
>to dislike HTML help so much is probably won't be a problem for you to pay
>for what makes you happy ;-)

I knew that some variation of these two comments was coming. Whenever
someone doesn't like a certain aspect of POV, these comments always
surface. I've always considered them to be petty, and in poor taste.

I *WANT* to use POV-Ray for Windows version 3.5 (or higher).

I *DON'T* want to use IE4 (or higher).

These two desires shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

As for waiting for the end of the beta period, in order to get help
files in another format, I've been led to believe that this will only
be "generic" POV-Ray help, and not cover most of the Windows-specific
issues of the Windows version of POV-Ray. This includes such things as
documentation for the POV Editor, but probably a few more things as
well. For example, I wonder if I/O restrictions are covered? I don't
see them in the TOC of the web-based documentation.

As for switching OS, that won't fix the problem with POV-Ray for
Windows, which happens to be one of the friendliest and most popular
POV-Ray versions. This version deserves to be implemented in a manner
that doesn't rely on a bloated, buggy, security hazard, like IE4.

Later,
Glen