POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another first post [1/1] : Re: Another first post [1/1] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another first post [1/1]
From: Alex
Date: 20 Jul 2005 17:21:43
Message: <YNhNwCNwyr3CFw4H@lazysod.org.uk>
In message <web.42dd997f811cc7c3ad93754b0@news.povray.org>, PM 2Ring
<nomail@nomail.?.invalid> writes
>Alex <pov### [at] lazysodorguk> wrote:
>

>> Projecting a specific subset of a 5 dimensional integer lattice onto a 2
>> dimensional plane to give the vertices of the rhombs. The principle is
>> very simple, and it's easy to do with a 3 dimensional lattice, but for
>> the life of me I can't work out the nitty gritty of the higher
>> dimensional cases. All the resources I can find just explain the
>> principle.
>>
>> Method discovered by deBruijn.
>
>Of course, how could I forget. I thought of using deBruijn's method, but I
>couldn't figure out a way to do it in POV. Also, it's been a while since
>I've played with higher-dimensional geometry, but I think that simple
>orthographic projections are used to project from n dimensions to n-1
>dimensions.

Yes. Projecting from n to n-3 dimensions is more tricky. I thought I
sussed out how to do it (for the umpteenth time), but once I coded it it
didn't work and I couldn't be bothered to look at it any more. I had
originally hoped to be able to create a procedural texture!

>If I understand this stuff correctly, the deBruijn construction is a regular
>5D Voronoi diagram, so it should be easy to implement in POV by modifying
>the code for the crackle pattern.

I'm not messing with source code. I never did suss out c.

<snip>

>> >That makes sense. Still, the floor is a little too dark for my tastes.
>>
>> Maybe. But make everything bright and the highlights don't show up as
>> much. It's a difficult one to judge.
>
>I suppose that this is where Jaime's Lightsys comes in very useful, although
>I've just started exploring Lightsys myself.

Just had a quick look at it, looks interesting. Lighting can be very
tricky.

>> >Here's a Penrose tiling, using rounded pentagonal prisms, in standard stone
>> >textures. The tiles were placed by simple #while loops, not recursive
>> >macros.
>> >
>> Similar to a "pentaflake" fractal, but with some pentagons filling the
>> larger gaps.
>
>Yes. I few years back, I wrote a little C program for my Amiga to play with
>pentagonal tilings by hand. I spent many, many hours exploring these
>tilings.

I never knew about these tilings until relatively recently, although I
have programmed similar L-system fractal algorithms on my old CPC464.
--
Alex