POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 character set handling : Re: v3.8 character set handling Server Time
26 Apr 2024 02:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 character set handling
From: ingo
Date: 5 Jan 2019 04:06:53
Message: <XnsA9CE66E56E743seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:5c3003db$1@news.povray.org clipka wrote:

> what you suggest would still require
> at least some baseline maintenance on all the old versions we want to
> support

Where lies the "break even point", how much does being backwards
compatibel cost versus this other maintenance with regards to the ability
/ possibility to take bigger / different development steps? Now, I know
you can't put a percentage on that ;) Just me wondering, looking at what
happened in the Python world with 2 & 3. Yesterday I 'broke' my mesh
macro's that are also in 3.7 by adding a dictionary and by changing the
way resolution is set...

Ingo