POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : pessimization question - multiple textures, all the same..? : Re: pessimization question - multiple textures, all the same..? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:49:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pessimization question - multiple textures, all the same..?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 22 Sep 2004 03:36:47
Message: <Xns956C61CA5230Ejgrimbertmeandmyself@203.29.75.35>

> POVrayers:
>
> I wrote a program that outputs a zillion POVray primitives - spheres,
> cylinders, and triangles. My program, via the miracle of brute-force
> programming, duplicates texture information into each one, so entire
> batches of textures are the same.
>
> Internally, does POVray discover logically identical textures and
> merge them into the same data objects

As far as I know, no. (at least, it wasn't so in 3.1).
In fact, povRay does this kind of thing only inside a mesh, for the
vertices.

> Put another way, if I worked to merge the textures at the script level
> before submitting the script, how much optimization, or pessimization,
> would the resulting render experience? I'm looking for simple ways to
> raise the ceiling of the number of primitives I can submit before
> WinXP goes into terminal thrash mode. After discovering the simpler
> ones, I'l start on the harder ones.

Me think you would gain most enlightement by studying the source code
instead of using a black-box experiment. But it requires personal work, a
value rarely found nowadays...

> (I'm aware the primary way to optimize is to benchmark - I'm just
> asking about internal object model goodies.)

Use the source, Luke...

--

l'habillement, les chaussures que le maquillage et les accessoires.