POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : DirectX9's HLSL & NVidia's Cg : Re: DirectX9's HLSL & NVidia's Cg Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:32:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DirectX9's HLSL & NVidia's Cg
From: Alessandro Falappa
Date: 3 Nov 2003 04:50:03
Message: <Xns94286E4E9294Aalexfalappa@204.213.191.226>
"Ryan Bennitt" <rya### [at] lycoscouk> wrote in

> The main question is this. Is a raytracer simply too complicated to
> compile/run on a GPU?

No, and in fact it has been already done even if we are currently at a
research stage with no practical application. In my opinion hardware
ray-tracing will not overcome standard software ray-tracing, it will
complement it instead. Anyway see:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~tpurcell/
for current research status.

Alessandro