POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Glass marbles in a glass bowl with caustics (MPG, 662 KB) : Re: Glass marbles in a glass bowl with caustics (MPG, 662 KB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 03:31:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass marbles in a glass bowl with caustics (MPG, 662 KB)
From: None
Date: 2 Oct 2003 16:13:49
Message: <Xns9408A50A58BF4None@204.213.191.226>
"Fernando Gonzalez del Cueto" <fgd### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in

> Very nice! Although, I think the gravity is too weak...

Thanks.  At first I though you may get the feeling that the gravity is too
weak due to the fact that the animation is in slow motion.  The simulation
time was 4 seconds but the animation plays for almost 9 seconds.  In the
simulation the  gravitational acceleration is set to: -9.81 units per
second squared in the Y coordinate.

Thinking about it some more, I realized you're in fact right.  The marbles
and bowl are huge relative to the gravitational acceleration used.  The
marbles have a radius of between 0.1 to 0.3 units (random).  Which,
relative to g would make them 20 to 60 cm in diameter.  I need to either
10x g or reduce the size of my objects so that they make sense in real
world sizes.  Thanks for pointing that out!