POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Stacked Bouncing Balls - Take 2 (MPG, 412 KB) : Re: Balls in half pipe (MPG, 174 KB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 02:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Balls in half pipe (MPG, 174 KB)
From: None
Date: 21 Sep 2003 21:18:56
Message: <Xns93FDD8D56F330None@204.213.191.226>
"Neonux" <neo### [at] softhomenet> wrote in

> [...]
> Some of these animation techniques really need to be combined into a
> single animation tool.
>
> Open Source project would be wonderful with a nice interface... Hmmm..
>
> It would enable people to make animations absolute masterpeices.
> [...]

Yeah, I also wish there was an easy to use free 3D physics simulation
program.  I love "newtonian" physics.  Unfortunatly my little Povray SDL
program is only specialized at handling balls, not so versatile.

MechSim in MegaPov is actually quite capable.  I wish more people would
post MechSim animations here.  Unfortunatly, Povray alone is not an easy
tool to use for the uninitiated, and then MechSim is a large step beyond
that.  Add to that the fact that Povray is not real-time interactive
(both design and render), and the audience becomes that much smaller.
Many commercial 3D packages now support "physics" simulations, even
Macromedia's latest Shockwave, which was typically not considered a 3D
software (it uses Havok's real-time physics engine, which is quite cool
(havok.com)).

If you use Linux, track down an old program called "Aero", it's a fun to
use rigid body dynamics program and supports (old) Povray output.
Problem is that it's no longer in development and a little buggy.  There
are also some open source "physics" engine API projects going on which
show promise, although I haven't tried any of them yet.