POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : 60 Balls in the box (MPG, 591 KB) : Re: 60 Balls in the box (MPG, 591 KB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 02:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 60 Balls in the box (MPG, 591 KB)
From: None
Date: 20 Sep 2003 22:08:42
Message: <Xns93FCE14519880None@204.213.191.226>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" <no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de> wrote in
news:3f6cfdd0$1@news.povray.org:

> [...]
> thats kinda good coding. OTOH, as soon
> as trace() is brought in, I'll expect it to
> go higher, as you'll need more than just one
> trace per ball.

Yes, you're probably right, times will probably go way up with trace().
Simulations will be limited to night time renderings only.

> Once you do have object interaction, try
> something new: instead of using balls, use
> blobs, and try to simulate water with,
> don't know, 300 to 500 spheres. Have it
> poured out of a bucket or such.

Good idea, actually I was thinking of implementing magnetism (or gravity
if I make the masses huge, hmmm, solar system? ;-) and though this would
apply well to water or mercury since their particles have an attraction
to each other.

> [...]
> Oh, and do your particles support different
> sized particles, or do they have to be the
> same size?

It does support balls with different radii ("radiuses"?), but all balls
have the same mass right now, so collisions between a big ball and a
little ball with the same mass looks really weird.  Need to add support
for that.