POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : 60 Balls in the box (MPG, 591 KB) : Re: 60 Balls in the box (MPG, 591 KB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 02:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 60 Balls in the box (MPG, 591 KB)
From: None
Date: 20 Sep 2003 21:12:42
Message: <Xns93FCD7C6AF52None@204.213.191.226>
"Fernando Gonzalez del Cueto" <fgd### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in

> I don't know how your simulation works, but when one uses explicit
> [...]

No, actually it's just a build-up of energy that my code wasn't letting go.
My code didn't allow for rotational slippage and it only allowed for energy
loss due to friction when a ball was rolling/bouncing.  So, when a whole
bunch of balls are stuck together and against the walls and floor and
another ball comes along with horizontal rotational energy and gets stuck
against the wall and is being pulled down by gravity, all of the built-up
rotational energy just circulates through the system with nowhere to go.
Eventually it starts to creep up in the small rounding errors of the many
vector transformations, starts to show up in a tiny sideways rotation
somewhere, then with a little time, POP!, the energy is released by
launching a ball upwards.