POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Stacked Bouncing Balls (MPG, 404 KB) : Re: Stacked Bouncing Balls (MPG, 404 KB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 03:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacked Bouncing Balls (MPG, 404 KB)
From: None
Date: 19 Sep 2003 16:29:16
Message: <Xns93FBA7BA2F764None@204.213.191.226>
"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in news:3f6b0ed6$1@news.povray.org:

> [...]
> Looks great. Out of curiosity: Can this be combined / imitated with the
> built-in MechSim in MegaPOV1.0 ?
> [...]

Thanks.

Combined?  I'm really not sure, but I don't think so, at least not
without some tricks.  Simply because ball to MechSim collisions would be
difficult to account for.  Actually, it may be possible.

Imitated?  Yes.  Someone posted an animation here earlier that used
MechSim to simulate a ball with rotation.  The difference is that ball
was a spherical grid composed of MechSim masses.  I don't think MechSim
masses alone have rotation support.  That ball could also have an off-
center center of grativy, mine don't (yet).  That ball could also
potentially deform on impact, not mine.  My technique is fairly simple
but it's also extremely fast.  I should play with MechSim more, it looks
great.  I loved the "floppy matresses" animations done by Andrew Cocker
here.