POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Stacked Bouncing Balls (MPG, 404 KB) : Re: Stacked Bouncing Balls (MPG, 404 KB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 03:32:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacked Bouncing Balls (MPG, 404 KB)
From: None
Date: 19 Sep 2003 15:39:39
Message: <Xns93FB9F50E8163None@204.213.191.226>
"Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote in news:3f6ab6ef$1@news.povray.org:

> [...]
> This should be no problem. How are the rotation vectors in your psysics
> system stored? In what format?
> [...]

Yeah, I must have been tired because I wasn't getting it.  Haven't gotten
back to it yet.

The rotation vector is actually stored in Pov world coordinates as a simple
vector.  It represents how much the ball has rotated around that specific
axis.  Of course, simply rotating the sphere with that vector causes the
warble effect because the rotation is x, y then z.  I tried with a
transformation matrix with sin's and cos's, but I wasn't getting it right
(fatigue or I'm just a dummy?).  I also simply tried rotating on the axis
perpendicular to the direction (basically, the rotation axis), but because
direction changes suddenly this causes the ball's pattern to flip-flop.