POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Normal indices in mesh2 : Re: Normal indices in mesh2 Server Time
29 Apr 2024 07:03:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal indices in mesh2
From: ingo
Date: 30 Dec 2002 10:06:52
Message: <Xns92F4A42F497F0seed7@povray.org>
in news:3e105c2d$1@news.povray.org Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> (1)  The docs suggest that normal indices are optional.  I just took
> a working mesh, added *only* a normal_vectors section, and got an
> error message about missing  normal_indices.

You can only do without normal_indices if the amount of vertices and
normals is the same, as shown in the first example in "3.5.2.1  Smooth
triangles and mesh2"

> (2)  IMHO,  you should build a complete, non-optimized mesh with all
> its components (i.e.,  normal_indices)  before optimizing it.   The
> way it's done in the docs leaves me totally confused as to what a
> normal_indices  is.

The use of normal_indices is exactly the same as the use of
face_indices, with one exception: a mesh2 with mix of flat and smooth
triangles.

Ingo