POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Film exposure simulation patch : Re: Film exposure simulation patch Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Film exposure simulation patch
From: ingo
Date: 10 Nov 2002 04:56:25
Message: <Xns92C2702644A4Fseed7@povray.org>
in news:3DCE2184.862B3F26@luxlab.com Kari Kivisalo wrote:

> I have studied transfer curves of Kodak films and some of the
> slide films seem to match the simple exponential function.
> I think this has wider use than just for the really hard cases.

From a photographic point of view, have you ever looked into the "zone
system" (Minor White, Ansel Adams)? It's a practical way of dynamic range
control and an alternative for the scientific sensitometrics. The goal is
to pre-visualise how a certain amount of gray will look in the final
print. To control that there are two "variables" exposure and development
(assuming a standardised film and printing method). For a low contrast
scene you'll over-expose and under-develop, for high contrast scenes the
opposite.

Ingo