POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Shell-out to OS? : Re: Shell-out to OS? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shell-out to OS?
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 18 Oct 2002 06:46:50
Message: <Xns92AB81C6AB144PhiLho@204.213.191.226>
"How Camp" <kro### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in

> Hmm.  I must be doing something very silly.  I've tried this on a
> win2k machine, and now on my win98 machine, neither of which seem to
> function. Here's my exact .INI file:
>
> ---
>
> [Shell Test]
> Width=320
> Height=240
> Antialias=Off
>
>  Pre_Scene_Command=c:\windows\notepad.exe
>  Pre_Scene_Return=F
>
> ---

I see several problems (after trying out, I am not very familiar with
these .ini files, but I am familiar with debugging processes :-)

Let's see...
1) When I use your .ini file as given (just replacing Notepad call), I get
this error in the Messages pane:
Warning: Never found section '' in file 'E:\_PhiLho\Images\POV-
Ray\sources\LuaLogo.ini'.
Command Line Error: Problem with command line or INI file.
Returned from renderer with error status

So I removed the section [Shell Test] which obviously is not only
necessary, but seems to be interfering... POV-Ray's .ini files are not
exactly Windows' .ini files, as stated in the manual. See also example
.ini files in the scenes\portfolio directory.

2) After removing this section, I got another error. Snipped from the
messages:
Parsing Options
  Input file: OBJECT.POV (compatible to version 3.5)
POV-Ray is creating another process
  D:\Programmes\USons\MicroWav.exe D:\Programmes\USons\BELL.WAV

Possible Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Could not find file
'OBJECT.POV'
Scene File Parser Initialization Error: Cannot open input file.

Returned from renderer with error status

Obviously, POV-Ray tries to render the default scene OBJECT.POV...
You must add a line like: Input_File_Name=<Your Scene>.pov

After adding it, I heard the sound... Well, almost, I cheated...
I disabled the Pre_Scene_Return=F line.
If I put it back, the program is no longer executed. ?!? A bug?

Oooh, if I put the Return line *before* the Command one, it works!
A quick browse of the manual shows nothing on this behavior...

Oh, well, at least you should be able to do what you wanted now :-)

--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)