POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vermeer has finished... : Re: Vermeer has finished... - VermeerMM3.jpg [0/2] Server Time
14 Aug 2024 22:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vermeer has finished... - VermeerMM3.jpg [0/2]
From: ingo
Date: 12 Oct 2002 10:14:04
Message: <Xns92A5A5F27E258seed7@povray.org>
in news:MPG.1811f5d8a1d66a89989682@news.povray.org Sander Stols wrote:

> He certainly did not use a camera for his painting "Milkmaid". Try
> and figure out the perspective in this painting! It's near impossible
> to get it right.

One of the things that David Hockney points out as an evidence for the use
of cameras with lenses are these strange perspectives.
The lens isn't able to project the whole scene at once on the canvas and
there is also the depth of field. So for one painting the lans has to be
moved a few times. Each movement results in a change of perspective. Nice
examples for this are people with too big or small heads an too long legs.
I don't have Hockney's book here at the moment, but when I have it back
I'll post a few links too images that show these perspective quircks.

Ingo