POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Export Image Files ? : Re: Export Image Files ? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Export Image Files ?
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 11 Oct 2002 05:39:55
Message: <Xns92A4766D08EFEPhiLho@204.213.191.226>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in news:3da58bde@news.povray.org:

>   Anyways, I personally don't like file output by default. 99% of my
> renders are test renders, not final renders. Thus, saving the image to
> a file is just a waste of resources (if nothing else, it consumes disk
> space). Also, your disk gets filled of images when you render this and
> that (eg. just to see how does it look like, eg. when rendering the
> example scenes which come with povray).
>   Thus I have the "-f" option in my povray.ini, which means that no
>   image
> file is written to disk.
>
>   When I do want to create the image file (eg. for the final render),
> put "+fn" (which means "output to a png file") in the command-line
> field of the winpov editor.

I have quickly done the same: I don't want to have images scattered in the
POV-Ray installation directory as I try the sample images...
Actually, I have -f on the low resolutions, used to have a quick view, and
+fn on the higher resolutions, which are used mostly to do final images.
I can still add -f when I need a high quality preview...

More exactly, in quickres.ini, I have either:

Output_to_File=off

or

Output_to_File=On
Output_File_Type=n