POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Vermeer has finished... : Re: Vermeer has finished... Server Time
15 Aug 2024 00:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vermeer has finished...
From: ingo
Date: 8 Oct 2002 13:22:28
Message: <Xns92A1C5E1F599Aseed7@povray.org>
in news:3da300eb$1@news.povray.org Ive wrote:

> Yes, I know the rumours about his use of a camera obscura. In my
> opinion, this is not true.

If he did he wasn't the only one ...

> But anyway, if he has used such advanced technologies and optical
> utilities,

... there was a lot more technology available these days than one may
think. Doing this kind of work with a normal, pinhole, camera obscura is
near impossible due to the lack of strong light sources. But lenses
where already available, Christiaan Huygens (1624 - 1695) was one of the
great lens grinders of his time. Vermeer (1632 - 1675) may have been
very well aware of these tools. It is for example known that Rembrand
(1606 - 1669) used lenses and has met Huygens.

A great book on all this is:
Secret Knowledge: Rediscovering the Lost Techniques of the Old Masters
by David Hockney
Viking Press; ISBN: 0670030260

There also was a great documentary on the subject on the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/1595979.stm

Ingo