POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Diamonds - 3 attachments : Re: Diamonds - 3 attachments Server Time
14 Aug 2024 22:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diamonds - 3 attachments
From: Marc Champagne
Date: 4 Sep 2002 08:34:38
Message: <Xns927F56A9CAA90POVMIKA@204.213.191.226>
Xplo Eristotle <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> wrote in

> Marc Champagne wrote:
>> Xplo Eristotle <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> wrote in
>>
>>>I'm curious about the settings you used, particularly the
>>>max_trace_level and the photons (since in both cases it appears you
>>>may not be using high enough values).
>>>
>>>I would also guess that you may be using too much dispersion, as your
>>>render is noticibly more rainbowy than the photo.
>>
>> global_settings {
>>   photons { spacing 0.08 count 5000 }
>
> You need only specify a spacing or a count; they're essentially two
> different ways to get the same effect. I don't know offhand what sort
> of results spacing .08 would give, but count 5000 is far too low; try
> half a million for good results.
>
>>   max_trace_level 60
>
> 60 should be plenty. Guess I was wrong about that.
>
>> interior { ior 2.417  dispersion 1.044 dispersion_samples 30 }
>
> I don't know proper values for diamond offhand, but these sound
> plausible to me. I guess I was 1 for 3. Still, try increasing the
> number of photons (and comment out dispersion for test renders!).

The ior and disoersion values are what the real world say they are,
as usual, we must compensate in the virtual world, try, try, try...

I'm not finished playing with this one yet, i'll be posting some more
as it evolves.

--
(MIKA) Marc Champagne
marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca