POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Diamonds - 3 attachments : Re: Diamonds - 3 attachments Server Time
14 Aug 2024 22:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diamonds - 3 attachments
From: Marc Champagne
Date: 3 Sep 2002 22:24:08
Message: <Xns927EE34B6804CPOVMIKA@204.213.191.226>
Xplo Eristotle <xpl### [at] infomagicnet> wrote in

> MIKA wrote:
>> This sucker took 22 hours to render on a 1ghz.
>>
>> They look impressive but not quite what one would expect from a real
>> diamond.
>
> I'm curious about the settings you used, particularly the
> max_trace_level and the photons (since in both cases it appears you may
> not be using high enough values).
>
> I would also guess that you may be using too much dispersion, as your
> render is noticibly more rainbowy than the photo.
>
> You might consider making the surface the diamonds are resting on
> non-reflective if it results in a significant speed increase.
>
> -Xplo

Took a couple of days to put the diamond together using math (no GUI, plain
text)

This was a test run (aren't they all..)

The diamonds are 1 POV unit in diameter.

global_settings {
  photons { spacing 0.08 count 5000 }
  max_trace_level 60
}

light_source { < -11, 40, -7 >, White*2 parallel point_at <0,0,0> }

Box under diamonds
------------------
finish  { ambient .05 diffuse .6 reflection .1 }
photons { target 1 refraction off reflection off }

Diamonds
--------
finish { ambient  0    diffuse    0.2
         specular 0.8  roughness  0.003
         phong    1    phong_size 400
         reflection { 0.15, 0.05 fresnel metallic }
}
interior { ior 2.417  dispersion 1.044 dispersion_samples 30 }
photons { target 1 refraction on reflection on }