POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Scientific Visualization : Re: Scientific Visualization Server Time
4 Sep 2024 20:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific Visualization
From: ingo
Date: 18 Aug 2002 16:08:54
Message: <Xns926EE1FED85BAseed7@povray.org>
in news:3d5fd927@news.povray.org Siamak.Lina wrote:

> Is there any other learning path for this purpose? where should I
> start?

Looking at the gallery I'd say all could be done with POV-Ray, but the
effort needed to get a result may vary.

For learning, I would start with, at least reading, the tutorial, even
if you're not interested in reflective spheres over checkerd planes. It
will give you a basic understanding of how the scene description
language works.

Objects you may be especialy interested in are mesh2, the heightfield,
the isosurface and maybe blobs. For mesh you may also be interested in
3DWin at: http://www.tb-software.com/
It can convert a lot of third party mesh formats to POV-Ray's mesh
formats.

The heightfield is image based and is usefull for things like
http://www.amtec.com/plotgallery/3-D/3-D21.html

Isosurfaces are function based. With the latter you can plug your math
staight into POV-Ray and generate surfaces. I could be useful for
things like: http://www.amtec.com/plotgallery/V9/v9-3.html

Also of interest may be the density pattern, it uses df3-files, these
are stacks of images. The density pattern can be used with media or as
a funtion with isosurfaces.
http://www.amtec.com/plotgallery/contour/contour2.html is something
that could be done with the density pattern and media. Or
http://www.amtec.com/plotgallery/3-D/3-D5.html

Altough POV-Ray has a very usfull language, you'll have to be prepared
to treat your raw data with scripts and programs in such a way that
POV-Ray can deal with them.

Looking forward to some of your results,

Ingo