POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Group animation project proposal : Re: Group animation project proposal Server Time
25 Jul 2024 09:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Group animation project proposal
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 9 Aug 2002 03:31:12
Message: <Xns926560AD5878FPhiLho@204.213.191.226>
Alex McMurray <ale### [at] melbpcorgau> wrote in

> Rohan Bernett wrote:
>> Wouldn't the studios have done their rendering at a really high
>> resolutions, say 16000*9000 ? The studios would only have been using
>> a few hundred machines to do the rendering, a distributed project
>> could have thousands. Hell, if enough people joined the rendering
>> team, they could be rendering frames faster than the asrtists could
>> make the scenes for rendering.
>>
> Agreed, Star Wars - The Phantom Menace did this, but they also used
> the office PC's when the office staff went home, augmenting their own
> PC's by another 100 or so.

I have an idea: why not make a POV-Ray screen saver, like the Seti@Home
one, or those use to break a cryptographic challenge or to decode genome?

A server would send scenes to render, the home computer would render the
scene and send it back to the server.

While the scene would be of reasonable size (unless using huge meshes),
the rendered images would be big, which make a less practical idea than
Seti, where exchanged data is rather small...
Perhaps it will more usable when most people will have broadband
connexions to Internet.

Actually, I believe that the current POV-Ray licence doesn't allow such an
idea, but perhaps it can be done in the 4.0 version.

Regards.

--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)