POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Vanish/Ghost/Killer bug : Re: Vanish/Ghost/Killer bug Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vanish/Ghost/Killer bug
From: ingo
Date: 16 Apr 2002 02:04:27
Message: <Xns91F2529097941seed7@povray.org>
in news:3C92D851.CC58115B@gmx.de Tim Nikias wrote:

> That's right, its in the docs. Though I think "not a useful result"
> isn't something I'd expect to run loose on the entire
> scene.

I'll see what I can changein the text.

>  Can't a default <0,1,0>, or better
> (because we're dealing with a <0,0,0> vector) a
><0,0,0> be returned instead of some haywire?

I would prefer an error. While making mesh generation macros I've been
bitten by this often. Investigation always showed that I did something
wrong in my code with the result of a <0,0,0> vector. It always took a
while to find the problems because POV-Ray just goes on parsing after a
vnormalize(<0,0,0>).

> Also, I didn't know that the reason for all this was
> this vnormalize-issue, I thought it had something to
> do with macros, because thats when it popped up
> first with my Particle-System, and then with the
> Gerbera.

Shows the importance of reducing the scene as much as possible ;)

Ingo