POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why do ISO surfaces slow down radiosity so much? - 1 attachment : Re: Why do ISO surfaces slow down radiosity so much? - 1 attachment - 1 attachment Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why do ISO surfaces slow down radiosity so much? - 1 attachment - 1 attachment
From: Rich
Date: 11 Apr 2002 19:51:22
Message: <Xns91EDB5A3B32FDspammindspringcom@204.213.191.226>
Wow, I didn't expect this much response!  Thank you to everyone who
has responded.  OK, so basically the problem is that an Isosurface
requires more time to calculate the effects of a ray, and radiosity
shoots many rays, so the combination of Isosurface and Radiosity = SLOW.
<smile>
    	Maybe I need to optimize my Isosurfaces?  I'm not sure they can be
though, they're fairly simple; I've shown one at the end of this message.
The other six Isosurfaces in the scene are identacle except for the
scaling in the two functions.  Can this be optimized for speed at all?
    	Or maybe a better question; can objects be excluded from the
radiosity calculations??  I could group these with a shadowless fill
light if I can get them to be ignored by radiosity.
    	These rocks are part of a reef tank picture I'm trying to put
together...  an example of the WIP is attached.

#declare Rough = function { pigment { wrinkles scale 0.75 } }
#declare Rock = function { x*x + y*y + z*z - 1 }

isosurface {
   function { Rock(x/3,y,z/2) + Rough(x+1,y+0.2,z+3.2).gray*.75 }
   contained_by{sphere{0,2}}
   threshold 0
   accuracy 0.001
   max_gradient 5.884
   texture { rockTex }
   scale 4
   translate <0,2,-16>
}

Thanks again for all of the responses!

--
Rich Allen
(Remove SPAM from my address to reply by e-mail)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Tank.jpg' (36 KB)

Preview of image 'Tank.jpg'