POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why do ISO surfaces slow down radiosity so much? - 1 attachment : Why do ISO surfaces slow down radiosity so much? - 1 attachment Server Time
16 Aug 2024 00:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Why do ISO surfaces slow down radiosity so much? - 1 attachment
From: Rich
Date: 10 Apr 2002 20:18:55
Message: <Xns91ECBA41AA903spammindspringcom@204.213.191.226>
Or is it the other way around and radiosity slows down ISO surface
rendering?  Either way, the combination of ISO and Radiosity makes for a
really slow render.  As a test, the following scene has seven ISO rocks,
and was rendered with the following parameters:

  496 seconds: single light, no radiosity
43724 seconds: single light, radiosity using "Normal" setting from
               rad_def.inc (over 12 hours)!!
  885 seconds: single light, fill light at camera, no radiosity
               (attached picture)

  I then replaced all seven ISOs with spheres, leaving the textures, etc
and got:

 21 seconds: single light, no radiosity
206 seconds: single light, radiosity using "Normal" setting from
             rad_def.inc

  This is orders of magnitude faster than the ISOs with radiosity, but
the ISOs without radiosity aren't that much slower than the spheres.
Any ideas??

--
Rich Allen
(Remove SPAM from my address to reply by e-mail)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ROCK1.jpg' (83 KB)

Preview of image 'ROCK1.jpg'