POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : image_map png gamma bug : Re: image_map png gamma bug Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map png gamma bug
From: Coridon Henshaw
Date: 5 Mar 2002 19:02:37
Message: <Xns91C8C1B8C71A0CQ@204.213.191.226>
Kari Kivisalo <ray### [at] engineercom> wrote in

> Rune wrote:

>> Image_maps should never be gamma corrected.

> This would really be the best situation. There are so many broken
> programs when it comes to png gamma.

I realize this is a probably feature request, but what might be best here
is to provide a means to manually specify the gamma of an image map (e.g.
image_map {... assumed_gamma X}).  This would be exceptionally useful for
dealing with image formats which don't store gamma values and for using the
same image maps in scenes with different assumed_gamma values without
keeping copies of the same map at different gamma values.

This is something to keep in mind for 4.0, I think.