POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Scattering media, lightgroups and shadowless lights : Re: Scattering media, lightgroups and shadowless lights Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scattering media, lightgroups and shadowless lights
From: Coridon Henshaw
Date: 5 Mar 2002 18:47:49
Message: <Xns91C8BF36A63E4CQ@204.213.191.226>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote in

> So basically what you're suggesting that objects will not cast shadows
> from shadowless lights anywhere except in scattering media? Doesn't it
> look a bit inconsistent?

As it stands, scattering media cannot be illuminated by shadowless lights.
What I am proposing is a way to fix this problem.

Scattering media are effectively in the shadow of their own container
object and are illuminated in part of the code in lighting.c which handles
shadows.  Since shadowless lights by definition cast no shadows, scattering
media is never illuminated by shadowless lights as the shadow handling code
is never called.  What I'm suggesting is to rework a few dozen lines of
code in lighting.c so the shadow handler is called when a shadowless light
shines on a scattering media.  The changes will not cause shadowless lights
to cast actual shadows (i.e. dark areas) on scattering media but rather
will cause scattering media to be _technically_ 'shadowed' by their own
container objects and therefore be illuminated.