POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [scenes] woodmaps.inc : Re: [scenes] woodmaps.inc Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [scenes] woodmaps.inc
From: Coridon Henshaw
Date: 28 Jan 2002 18:51:59
Message: <Xns91A4BFEB18CF8CQ@204.213.191.226>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in

> In article <3c55a741@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
> wrote:
>
>> : It actually would increase parse time.
>>
>>   Then use a trick sometimes used in C/C++. Instead of:
>
> Which is exactly what increases parse time!  The POV-Ray parser still
> turns everything into tokens, only to ignore it - keep in mind the
> parser and what looks like a preprocessor is actually more or less
> *one* step, so it isn't very fast.

The parser would probably do something a little more intellegent if the
standard include files were not included directly but by wrappers, e.g.
rename colors.inc to something else and create a new colors.inc with the
following code:

#ifndef(Colors_Inc_Temp)
    	#declare Colors_Inc_Temp = version;
    	#version 3.5;
   	#include "realColors.inc"
    	#version Colors_Inc_Temp;
#else

I doubt it's worth the effort to do this, however...