POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 14 Jan 2002 : Re: Known Bugs 14 Jan 2002 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known Bugs 14 Jan 2002
From: Coridon Henshaw
Date: 16 Jan 2002 17:02:10
Message: <Xns9198AD4D5BBF4CQ@204.213.191.226>
Mike Williams <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in
news:4gz### [at] econymdemoncouk:

> max_trace_level affects radiosity recursion_limit
> (Setting max_trace_level 1 disables radiosity and max_trace_level 2
> sets recursion_limit to 1)
> http://news.povray.org/3BE40295.6C3D54DE@engineer.com

I can confirm portions of this report.  While reducing max_trace_level to 1
does not disable radiosity under beta 10, max_trace_level does appear to
impose an upper bound on recursion_limit.  recursion_limit settings in
excess of the max_trace_level appear to be ignored.

> Bugs with string/macro handling
> http://news.povray.org/3be76148$1@news.povray.org

Partial confirmation.  I can get error cases #1 (Too many nested symbol
tables) and #2 ("BCFGHJKLMQSUVWXY") but none of the others.

At first glance that the original poster is trying to do with the scene
description language is somewhat akin to driving nails with a shoe.  As
such I am unsure if this problem should be fixed or if the workaround
should be 'reimplement your code in perl, Python, rexx, or C.'

> Philosophical objection to fog distance=0
> (Fog colour is then ignored)
> http://news.povray.org/3BE7E897.FEC8EF6@aol.com

Confirmed that the code provided works as the original poster stated.

> Animated textures
> (memory usage goes quite high)
> http://news.povray.org/3bea26bf@news.povray.org

Not tested.  I suspect this bug might be another incarnation of one of the
various memory leaks reported elsewhere.

> Isosurface *disappears* at high resolution (fwd)
> http://news.povray.org/3bb0b351@news.povray.org

Cannot duplicate.

> Media visible container line in front of object
> (a visible whitish line appears at the edge of a transparent container
> box for media)
> http://news.povray.org/3bf45a3d@news.povray.org

Confirmed.  This problem can be masked--but not eliminated--with
antialiasing.

> Priority troubles
> (higher priorities cause slower render)
> http://news.povray.org/

Uhhh, message-id?  ;-)

> [win gui] line with error highlighted but render finished succesfully
> http://news.povray.org/va2tvt4tuitd67ik5t9ps334sbg6205bt3@4ax.com

Not tested specifically, but I've run into this problem before with
ordinary parsing errors (e.g. undeclared identifiers) not related to
#fopen.

> var_refl.pov (\scenes\textues\finishes) Beta 8
> (should #include "functions.inc")
> http://news.povray.org/3C0A9650.6B98925@compuserve.com

Cannot duplicate.

> transform syntax
> (transform {test_trans} sometimes requires {} and sometimes doesn't)
> http://news.povray.org/3C09EE1B.A38DC91A@gmx.de

Confirmed.

> Win Beta 8: Message window/parse hang error?
> (hangs after "Degenerate Blob" warning)
> http://news.povray.org/3c0bdc77@news.povray.org

Insufficient data to make a determination.

A generic scene containing a single degenerate blob did not cause pov to
lock up.

> another bug I haven't seen mentioned
> (Yellow band around sky_sphere equator)
> http://news.povray.org/3c10ef62$1@news.povray.org

Cannot duplicate with the following scene:

sky_sphere {pigment {gradient y triangle_wave color_map {[0 rgb 0] [1 rgb
1]}}}

If the original poster can provide a sample scene I will try again.

> media & fog bug?
> http://news.povray.org/3c1379e0$1@news.povray.org

Confirmed.

> bug in sphere_sweep for removing parts of an object
> (parameterised sphere_sweeps are very slow. May or may not be related
> to job000176)
> http://news.povray.org/3C1A5D47.EA38F6E5@amc.uva.nl

Confirmed.

> Re: Mosaic... some clarifications
> (#local A2=P(1,2,3).hf; fails)
> http://news.povray.org/9n9j1uo0mdlrs4i5toupujr0pqrj4vvb8d@4ax.com

Confirmed.

> Re: hollow in light groups
> http://news.povray.org/3c21172d$1@news.povray.org

Confirmed.

> Is there a problem with area light
> http://news.povray.org/3c22f013@news.povray.org

Cannot duplicate.  area_light settings which produce smooth shadows under
3.1 also produce smooth shadows under 3.5.

> Bug with transform syntax
> http://news.povray.org/chrishuff-5FC1B7.19310427122001@netplex.aussie.or

Confirmed.

> Minor Windows annoyance