POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Image loader bugs (TIFF, JPEG, PNG) : Image loader bugs (TIFF, JPEG, PNG) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Image loader bugs (TIFF, JPEG, PNG)
From: Coridon Henshaw
Date: 6 Jan 2002 20:11:29
Message: <Xns918ECD6464AC8csbhccse@204.213.191.226>
To follow up earlier reports of TIFF image map bugs and subsequent tests
posted earlier by somebody else using TIFF files generated mostly by
Irfanview, I've done some additional tests with TIFF files generated by
Paint Shop Pro and the Gimp.  In general terms, Pov's TIFF loader works
better with files created with the Gimp, but it still fails frequently.

While I was not able to get the TIFF loader to lock up under any
conditions, during this test run I was able to lock up Pov (twice) by
(accidentally) attempting to load TIFF files with the PNG and JPEG loaders.

Main test results:

24bit RGB
  LZW           [PSP] Corrupted
  Packbits      [PSP] Upside down
                [GIMP] Image is upside down
  Uncompressed  [PSP] Upside down
                [GIMP] Image is upside down
  Deflate (ZIP) [GIMP] Image is upside down
  JPEG          [GIMP] Blank image

8bit Indexed
  LZW          [PSP] Corrupted
  Packbits     [PSP] Upside down
               [GIMP] Works
  Uncompressed [PSP] Upside down
               [GIMP] Works
  Deflate      [GIMP] Works

4bit Indexed
  LZW          [PSP] Corrupted
  Packbits     [PSP] Corrupted
               [GIMP] Works
  Uncompressed [PSP] Corrupted
               [GIMP] Works
  Deflate      [GIMP] Works

1bit B&W
  CCITT FAX 3  [PSP] Upside down + Colors are reversed
  Huffman      [PSP] Upside down
  LZW          [PSP] Corrupted
  Packbits     [PSP] Upside down
               [GIMP] Works
  Uncompressed [PSP] Upside down
               [GIMP] Works
  Deflate      [GIMP] Works

CMYK (Okay, I admit this was a little unfair...)
  LZW          [PSP] Corrupted
  Packbits     [PSP] Upside down + Colors are too dark
  Uncompressed [PSP] Upside down + Colors are too dark

[Tests conducted under WinME (P3-866 128MB) and Win2K (C400 384MB).]