POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Columns - 1 attachment : Re: Columns - 1 attachment Server Time
17 Aug 2024 02:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Columns - 1 attachment
From: Coridon Henshaw
Date: 22 Nov 2001 04:26:42
Message: <Xns91612D3508DD6CoridonHenshaw@204.213.191.226>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in news:3bfb7786@news.povray.org:

> "Coridon Henshaw" <che### [at] sympaticoca> wrote in message
> news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...

>> Columns.  Inspired by a photo of an abandoned water reservior.

> Nice - the one in Istanbul?

It's the Balmain reservior in Sydney.  The original photo is at
http://www.orchy.com/underworld/SLIDE41.HTM

Simon Lemieux <Sim### [at] yahoocom> wrote in news:3BFBB8F0.E3ACB386
@yahoo.com:

> Instead of using lights, can't you use radiosity?  That might end up
> taking just as much time but might improve the quality of the render?

I tried that.  The scene rendered faster but completely lost its
atmospheric feel.  I'm going to stick with lights at the moment.

"Andrew" <ast### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in news:3bfbbc91$1
@news.povray.org:

> Very nice image!  I like the water, although an isosurface might have
> looked better where it meets the columns.

The render time is bad enough as it is without an isosurface.  If anything
I'll use a function heightfield--basically all the benefits without quite
as much of a time hit.