POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : .NET distributed POV : Re: .NET distributed POV Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .NET distributed POV
From: Rev  Bob 'Bob' Crispen
Date: 10 Nov 2001 18:18:31
Message: <Xns9155ADE7776FErevbob@127.0.0.1>
The kindly Rev. overheard Adrien Beau <adr### [at] freefr> saying on
09 Nov 2001:

> You can't write in any language. You can write in a lot of .NETted
> languages. Yes, they resemble a lot the languages they derived from
> (Cobol.NET, ha!), but they're not the same. Important note: you
> just can't use an existing program, even if it is written in a
> langugage the .NET platform supports: You have to rewrite some
> parts (or most?) of its code.

Somehow, I think the rush into C# may be something well short of a
stampede.  Can you say "Visual J++" boys and girls?  Too many bright
young kids developed great little applications in VJ++ and were shocked
to discover they'd have to do a port to Java if they expected their
apps to interoperate with web browsers or run on other platforms, and
that the port was far from straightforward or easy.

Still, having learned Forth and the assembly language for several
vanished machines, I don't suppose I can reasonably say that it's a bad
idea to learn any programming language.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Nature abhors a vacuum.  Then again, so does my dog.