POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Making Large Hardcopy : Re: Making Large Hardcopy Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Large Hardcopy
From: ingo
Date: 7 Nov 2001 04:56:09
Message: <Xns91526F3EFDF26seed7@povray.org>
in news:3be82921@news.povray.org Hershel Robinson wrote:

> 1 Is this a sound idea?

Depends on your budget, prints this size won't be cheap.

> 2 Anyone know of a photo studio near Detroit, Michigan (or anywhere
> else in the US for that matter) which could do such a thing?

You'll need to find a pro photolab that can print digital images to
photo negative and does manual printing of the poster. Here are a few
labs mentioned, I have no idea what they can do, as I live on the other
side of the globe.
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000vJf

> 3 Any advice as to how to render?  The image I have looks great on
> the screen, but will it print more or less the same?

> 4 Any advice as to how to send the thing?

First find a lab, discuss with them what is needed. Resolution, gamma,
file type and how to supply the file. Then render it to that format
with the best possible anti-aliasing setting.

An alternative may be looking for a 'small' (silk-screen)printshop that
works for the advertisement industry. They make the big stickers on the
sidepanels of trucks an busses etc. They generaly have big high-res
inkjetprinters to print on vinyl or canvas.

Ingo