POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : .NET distributed POV : Re: .NET distributed POV Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .NET distributed POV
From: Rev  Bob 'Bob' Crispen
Date: 4 Nov 2001 04:53:15
Message: <Xns914F46352846revbob@127.0.0.1>
The kindly Rev. overheard "Ben Martens" <bma### [at] purdueedu> saying
on 02 Nov 2001:

> I'm tossing around ideas for a .NET programming contest.  One idea
> was to build a distributed POV system based on .NET.

You have, I trust, seen the latest jolly little prank where somebody
can snarf your whole Passport wallet, credit cards and all, by having
you read a message in hotmail?

If you've put any credit card data into Passport, cancel the cards now.
If you've put your email address into Passport, close your account and
get another ISP.  If you've put your snailmail address into Passport,
burn down your house and move.  It's the only way to be sure.

It *might* be sensible for people to use .NET if we could be sure it
would never be connected to any network.  In fact, it was designed to
operate exactly that way, but when the security wizards at Microsoft
tried to lock it down, it somehow appeared on every website on the net.

I'd write more temperate, sensible reasons why I'd rather have my
privates squeezed in a vise than have anything to do with .NET, but the
NIMDA worm is clobbering my router again.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done.