POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : png gamma error : Re: png gamma error Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: png gamma error
From: ingo
Date: 24 Sep 2001 16:23:08
Message: <Xns9126E3B74B171seed7@povray.org>
in news:3baf6e49$1@news.povray.org Bob H. wrote:

> For PC systems, the most common display gamma is 2.2, while for
> scenes created on Macintosh systems should use a scene gamma of
> 1.8. Another gamma value that sometimes occurs in scenes is 1.0.

 Guessing (as I used a pre 3.1 versions only for a week or two): going
from version 2.2/3.0/3.1 a few things changed. In older versions you
had to set the resulting gamma in the scene file. When a scene was
designed on a Mac and renderd on a PC there had changes to be made to
the scene file.

 In the current situation this is not needed anymore as display_gamma
is set in the INI file, or defaults to the right value (at least
for PC). assumed_gamma 1 just tells the system to use that
display_gamma. final gamma = display_gamma/assumed_gamma, so
assumed_gamma can be used to make small changes to the illumination of
the scene, but in general it would be better to do it with the
lightning sceme to prevent cross platform problems.

 As to the value to be written to the PNG file, shouldn't it be
1/final_gamma instead of 1/display_gamma? Or is that one correction too
much?

Ingo