POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : bug: render window doesn't preserve image aspect ratio : Re: bug: render window doesn't preserve image aspect ratio Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bug: render window doesn't preserve image aspect ratio
From: QQ
Date: 7 Sep 2001 22:27:41
Message: <Xns9115E47D4AB67CQ@204.213.191.226>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in news:3b996d66@news.povray.org:

> QQ <now### [at] nowhereno> wrote:
>: When the render window is maximized, the image is stretched to the
>: limits of the display area without regard for the image aspect ratio.

> Are you sure this should be considered a bug?
> If you specify a window aspect ratio different from the image aspect
> ratio, what should POV-Ray do?

I'd suggest that Pov duplicate the 'preserve aspect ratio' feature
available in most image viewers: enlarge the size of the render window to
the maximum extent possible without distorting the image.  In many cases
this will mean using letterboxing or limiting the maximum size of the
render window.

> I think the current behaviour is as good as any other.

I don't think you'd say that if you've spent any time working on scenes
which aren't designed to for the 1.333 aspect ratio.  It is big pain in the
neck to use of an external image viewer just to get a non-distorted
fullscreen view of a preview image designed for 16:9 or 8:10.

Note that this problem effects everyone who wants to design scenes which
don't have roughly the same aspect ratio as their monitor.  People with
16:9 LCDs will also run headlong into this problem if they want to work on
scenes designed for 1.333 monitors.

Given that 16:9 monitors are going to become more and more common in the
medium term, I think the aspect problem should be fixed now rather than in
the years it'll take for Pov 4 to see the light of day.