POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Patina/grime (40k) : Re: Patina/grime (40k) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 18:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patina/grime (40k)
From: ingo
Date: 31 Aug 2001 11:24:43
Message: <Xns910EB1208AEEDseed7@povray.org>
in news:slr### [at] fwicom Ron Parker wrote:

> I got this far before I had to ask "how do you do THAT?"  The
> answer is, of course, that you cannot.

 So there is no direct way to calculate that :(
 An indirect way would be to get 'some' points on the sphere and use
these with the inside() function, but that would only work on solid
objects.

> The best you can do is fire
> a bunch of random rays at nearby points on the object and try to
> estimate the local curvature of the surface.

 Is the curvature enough to know whether my finger with polish cloth
can reach a certain point?
 How about shooting rays from the intersection point, in a
hemispherical pattern, aligned with the normal at intersection point.
From that, I think it could be calculated if an object with a certain
diameter can reach the point. Depending on that diameter the grey-value
gets calulated.

Ingo