POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Photographic compression (50k) : Re: Photographic compression (50k) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 22:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photographic compression (50k)
From: ingo
Date: 10 Aug 2001 07:24:58
Message: <Xns90F9887D6EBB5seed7@povray.org>
in news:3B7### [at] pphtvfi Kari Kivisalo wrote:

> All the data is non clipped. By scaling light source and ambient
> source intensities I can make sure the scene fits in 0-1 range.

The "studio-situation" form a photography view point.
So what you are doing is "gamma adjustment the hard way", but with more
control over the result?

 Dens^          __
  D2 ____   /             for positive material (slide) mirror
     |     /              the curve.
     |    /
  D1 __  /_a
     |__/    |
     +---|---|------------> log H (light dosis)
     logH1  logH2

> So developing stretches the scene's intensity range down along the
> curve. Exposing stretches the range up along the curve. I just
> looked at linearised film response curve and concluded that it's
> just a typical compress operation.

 Not quite, without any change in the light dosis, when the film is
developed longer the gamma will be higher, the curve steeper. This only
to a certain extend, there is a maximum density that can be reached for
a certain light dosis. If developed longer the film wil get a to high
background haze, that reduces contrast. Shorter development, flatter
curve.
 Without change in development, a higher light dosis moves the
highlights towards, or into, the shoulder. The shadows move from the
foot towards the middle section. You'll lose detail in the bright
parts. Lower lightdosis does the opposit and you'll lose detail in the
shadows.
 For negative material goal is to always get the same gamma ( tang(a),
(D2-D1/logH2-H1) ) that fits with the printing paper and enlarging
apparatus used.

> Check: density=blackness ? :)

Yes

Ingo