POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Distant Mountain Ranges : Re: Distant Mountain Ranges Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Distant Mountain Ranges
From: Mike Williams
Date: 4 Jan 2000 13:25:09
Message: <VHuiuiAAhcc4EwbP@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Jerry C who wrote:
>Hello,
>
>       I'm extremely new to using povray (on BeOS no less), and was messing
>about here and there.  Now my experiments have led to something that seems kind
>of interesting but I really could use a mountain range way off in the distance.
>I'm curious as to what would be the best way to accomplish this.  Would a height
>field be the trick, or building one by hand (erg...)?  Any tips or anything that
>could be shot my way?

I notice that one recent IRTC winner used Terragen to generate the
background mountains, then simply imagemapped the resulting mountains
onto the back wall.

Terragen is very easy to use produces brilliant mountains, and, at this
stage of its development, is free for non-commercial use.

It's at http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

When you glue the results into your POV scene you just need to be a bit
careful to ensure that the lighting directions and atmospheric effects
are reasonably similar.

--
Mike Williams + #
Gentleman of Leisure