POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Torus segment with rounded ends (for a pie chart) : Re: Torus segment with rounded ends (for a pie chart) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Torus segment with rounded ends (for a pie chart)
From: Mike Williams
Date: 25 Sep 2008 06:26:19
Message: <TeP7waBxa22IFwJN@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Rick Measham who wrote:
>ALSO: I would love to make this render a hell of a lot faster, if
>anyone has any pointers.

One thing worth noticing is that your area_light causes the render time
to be multiplied by a factor of 28.

I wonder if it would somehow be possible to arrange for the blurred
shadow to be calculated separately, cast by a simpler object with
no_image, and have the main object be illuminated by a simpler light
source. I've never really played with light_group and can't seem to get
this to go as fast as I'd expect.

Rendering the scene with the wedges commented out, and with
        torus {2, 0.6 pigment {rgbf <1,0,0,0.35>} no_image}
to cast the shadow runs very fast. Your original scene but with
        AreaLights = 0;
runs very fast. My attempts to do both of those in the same scene slow
it down so much that the speed gain over the original scene is only a
factor of about 2.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure