POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Curiosity : Re: A Curiosity Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:09:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Curiosity
From: Mike Williams
Date: 9 Sep 2003 17:57:14
Message: <SiromEAMvkX$EwdT@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Jettero Heller who wrote:
>In article <3f5e1f5c@news.povray.org>, Stefan Persson wrote:
>> If Poser will do what you want?
>

>Yeah, I was hoping poser would export a mesh that would interact
>with my scene.  For instance, could the elf in the picture --
>without hair if I'm hearing you right -- cast a shadow on some
>pov-jects I'm working on?

Most types of Poser hair can be exported to POV. The only problem is the
new "dynamic" strand-based hair that was introduced in Poser 5, which is
made up of strands rather than polygons, so it can't be converted to a
mesh. (I suppose the strands could be converted to thin sphere sweeps,
but I'd imagine that would be ridiculously slow). P5 dynamic hair is
rather tricky to use anyway, and I've seen very few instances of it
being used successfully in the Poser newsgroups.

Most of the convincing looking hair that I see in the Poser newsgroups
is made using transparency mapping. The hair is constructed in sheets,
then an image of hair is used to control which parts of the sheet are
visible hairs and which bits are invisible. This type of Poser hair can
be exported to POV (see <http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/posetut/p4.htm>)

Some of the best Poser hair can be found for free at
<http://www.vowel.or.jp/~kozaburo/>, and everything there will export to
POV cleanly.

--
Mike Williams