POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface Tribulations : Re: Isosurface Tribulations Server Time
17 Aug 2024 10:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface Tribulations
From: Mike Williams
Date: 12 Oct 2001 13:05:14
Message: <SKevfGA7fox7Ew+r@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it banty who wrote:
>    I've been trying to aquaint myself with the isosurface functions in
>PoV 3.5, but as I go through the tutorials I keep getting strange
>results from the functions they tell me to input, results which don't
>show up un the example pictures.  I also get black moire like patterns
>in the surface of the rendered objects.
>    Is this a bug or is it a difference in operators between Pov 3.5 and
>mega pov?

If you're trying to follow one of the web based tutorials that was
written for Megapov, then you'll probably need to specify a (higher)
max_gradient.

If you're trying to follow my Isosurface tutorial,
        <http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/>
then I would expect it all to work. Let me know if you are having
trouble with my examples.

For the tutorial in the help docs, you need to spot the sneaky little
sentence that says "Note that i added 'max_gradient 4' to the isosurface
definition here, this will be explained later on." and continue to use
'max_gradient 4' in (most of) the subsequent scenes. On the other hand,
after rendering the scene that demonstrates "threshold 1" you'll need to
remember to remove that line before you get to function{ abs(x)-1 }.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure