POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface cylindrical ramp?, cam lift hinge : Re: Isosurface cylindrical ramp?, cam lift hinge Server Time
9 Aug 2024 08:59:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface cylindrical ramp?, cam lift hinge
From: Mike Williams
Date: 7 Mar 2005 02:41:11
Message: <RnsXWCAiQALCFwrj@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Rick Measham who wrote:
>StephenS wrote:
>> I would like to add the cam part to my hinge. A ramp that wraps around the
>> pin. I'm thinking that a cylinder isosurface whose height changes with the
>> angle should work. Looking up the parts on f_ph and f_th don't seem to help
>> me understand them any better. I can get a cylinder but the change in height
>> is giving me a head ache. Some help would be appreciated :-)
>
>G'day Stephen,
>I went to the toilet downstairs earlier and noticed it had the sort of
>hinges you're trying to do. The slope you're searching for is just a
>flat plane. No need for twist or anything, just a cylinder minus a plane.

I don't think that works at all well. When the hinge is part open, the
whole weight of the door is supported on a single point of contact, and
that's going to damage the hinge. Here's a close-up of just the contact
surfaces showing the problem.

#version 3.6;
global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}
camera {location  <0,0,-10> look_at <0,0,0> angle 30}
background {rgb 1}
light_source {<-30, 100, -30> color rgb 1}

#include "colors.inc"

#declare ClosingHinge_Plastic = difference {
        cylinder {
                <0.00,  1.50, 0.00>
                <0.00, -0.50, 0.00>
                0.50
        }
        plane {
                0.01
                rotate z*45
        }
        texture {
                pigment { Grey }
        }
}

#declare Open30 = union {
  object {ClosingHinge_Plastic}
  object {ClosingHinge_Plastic
    rotate z*180
    rotate y*30
    translate <0,-0.23,0>
  }
}

object {Open30 translate -x}
object {Open30 rotate y*180 translate x}

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure