POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Height Field from map Comparison : Re: Height Field from map Comparison Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:18:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Field from map Comparison
From: Mike Williams
Date: 10 Sep 2003 20:03:18
Message: <R9VYBDA0t7X$EwtJ@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Shay who wrote:

>"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message
>
>Not bad, but Hogo's mesh is smoother. Even with the blurring, the
>isosurface is not able to "fudge" the bad spots as well as a mesh it
>seems. The iso is simply too accurate. I should get a chance to render
>mine here in a bit.
>
>What where your render times?

Very slow. The ones I posted here took 4 minutes 44 seconds each,
compared with 10 seconds for a height field. However, POV suggests a
considerably higher max_gradient than I used, but if I use the higher
max_gradient it suggests one that's considerably higher than that. At
the edges of the source image pixels the gradient is theoretically
infinite. The speed is very dependent on the value of max_gradient
chosen.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure