POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rainbow : Re: Rainbow Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rainbow
From: Mike Williams
Date: 25 Dec 2008 04:49:50
Message: <Qs8yNbBmV1UJFwPF@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Thomas de Groot who wrote:

>One thing I wonder about is the difference of luminosity of the landscape
>inside and outside of the rainbow. I am not sure if this is a RL feature.

Yes. The lightness of the rainbow itself has to come from somewhere.
Some of the light that would have come from the dark "Alexander's band"
as you see the rainbow is deflected to make the bright coloured stripes
of rainbows that are seen by people standing beside you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander%27s_band

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure