POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : s-povray and tty : Re: s-povray and tty Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: s-povray and tty
From: Peter Popov
Date: 16 Jan 2000 17:52:18
Message: <QUqCOPKyf3MJQ+IoPMq9mjLddquw@4ax.com>
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:57:26 -0600, Mark Gordon <mtg### [at] mailbagcom>
wrote:

>Peter Popov wrote:
>>
>> is there a way I can make s-povray display to a non-tty console such
>> as /dev/pts/*?
>
>My understanding of svgalib is that it only displays on a tty.  I could
>(if I read up on it a bit more) add support for output on an arbitrary
>terminal, but I don't know that I could do any better than 80x25, 16
>colors).

Yes but why use svgalib at all if console output is what's needed?
Anyway, I think I'll just compile the generic sources.

>Have you had no luck getting x-povray to display remotely?  That would
>strike me as a better solution, since X is designed to function over
>networks.

I don't want to install X, not until I've found a free win32 X server
supporting OpenGL/Direct3D (if there's such a beast anyway)

>I've gotten x-povray to display over rsh, but I haven't had
>the need to try ssh (trusted network; I can reach all four machines and
>the hub from where I'm sitting).  I can check it out on my end.

does x-povray have a text-only output option? If so, I think ssh will
handle it just fine (it manages X11 packets quite well). Still, will
you please try it? TIA

>-Mark Gordon

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet