POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Finished!! (224Kbu) : Re: Finished!! (224Kbu) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 20:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finished!! (224Kbu)
From: Glen Berry
Date: 1 May 2000 14:25:45
Message: <PskNOVB4e8kKPSvcL5pNa1EOGQ5F@4ax.com>
On Mon, 1 May 2000 13:57:02 -0400, "Ross Litscher"
<lit### [at] osuedu> wrote:

>you're right, but the droids as a whole are pretty much in the middle of the
>image. the hints of motion help lessen this, so it's not totally bad at all.
>just something that caught my attention. I'm more questioning of how i only
>see the left 3/5 of the image when i casually look at it.

I was wondering about your tendency to do this also.  :)

In your previous post, you mentioned how the rays of light drew your
eyes toward the droid, only to be pulled away by the railing in the
corner. Funny, my attention tend to stay focused on the droid.
Perhaps, it the instinctive impulse to keep an eye on an apparently
moving object to make sure I don't get run over.     :)

Seriously, if the image were a bit lighter (a gamma adjustment), the
imbalance is much less. It might also be worth trying to add something
to the right hand side of the image to balance it more. Perhaps add a
small amount of light to that side? We wouldn't want too much light,
because it would destroy the concept of the drunk hiding in the
shadows.

>> By the way, there are no composition rules, only suggestions.
>
>yeah, but the suggestions have validity in most cases. they often seem to
>make the image more interesting.

The other side of this coin was expressed fairly well by a comment
made by a highly respected National Geographic photographer:

  "If you ever shoot a roll of film and all the resulting photos are
pretty, sharp, and well exposed - you've failed."

I'll let everyone think about that. It applies to POV renderings as
well.

Later,
Glen Berry

( Remove the "7" from 7no### [at] ezwvcom to email me. )